Obituaries » Johnny Lee McCoy

Check your settings when you are happy with your print preview press the print icon below.

Show Obituaries Show Guestbook Show Photos QR Code Print

Johnny Lee McCoy

November 18, 1948 - July 10, 2021

Service Date July 17, 2021

A celebration of life is scheduled, Saturday July 17, 2021, at 2pm EST at Memorial Funeral Home, Maryville, Tennessee. A simulcast will be shown at the First Baptist Church North Pole, 10am AST. David Haun will be officiating. The McCoy family wishes to extend their sincerest thanks to Dr Christopher Barber, the doctors and nurses at University of Tennessee Medical Center, Blount Memorial Hospice, all the cards and delicious meals provided by loving friends of Sevier Heights Baptist Church.

Obituary Viewed 3206 times

Share your Memorial with Family & Friends

Johnny Lee McCoy born November 18, 1948, in Locust Grove, Oklahoma, passed away at the age of 72 on July 10, 2021, at home surrounded by his family. He was preceded in death by his father, John Raymond McCoy; mother, Ethel Mae Wycoff; and his six siblings, Eugene, Troy, Rosie, Betty, Dale, and Terry. Johnny is survived by his wife of 49 years, Patricia, sons, Randy (Rebekah); Rick; Matthew. Johnny loved and was dearly loved by his 8 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. One of his favorite things to do was to have them sit on his lap and ride his John Deere mower. Johnny was a Godly pastor to his flock for 32 years at the First Baptist Church North Pole, and the 8 years previous he was the bus minister over 8 buses that operated even at extreme temperatures to -60 below zero. Johnny wore many hats such as the Chaplain Assistant in Alaska Air National Guard, Mayor of North Pole; Police Chaplain for North Pole; Vice President of the Alaska Baptist Convention, Moderator of the Tanana Valley Baptist Association and Trustee of the North American Mission Board. He was active duty in the United States Air Force and transferred to the Alaska Air National Guard in 1976 and retired in 2006. September 3, 2001, Johnny flew out on a super cub with his forever hunting buddy, Gary Corle to go moose hunting for two weeks in the Alaska Range. The next morning started out hiking 3 miles, crossing running streams, walking thick muskeg and trees. Johnny was behind Gary about 20ft when a Grizzly sow charged Gary, then turned its attention on Johnny. Johnny later said the sows hot putrid breath, her teeth scraping against his skull, and the cry of her cubs overhead he would never forget. Johnny ended up with over a thousand stitches on his head and face alone. God has shown his glory through Johnny as he shared his story all around the world. He was a current employee of Memorial Funeral Home.